Even though sewing clothing is way more exciting, I had to took a break from it and sew some curtains for my bedroom. We moved to this place several months ago, and as time passed, we found that in the summer, the sun shines right into our eyes in the morning through the bedroom window.
The ideal sleeping place for me is a cave, it’s cool and dark. Even though my place is not cool, I still want it to be pitch dark, so I decided to sew some serious blackout curtains where no light can come in. I followed the instruction from About.com Sewing to line my curtains with blackout lining. The only difference is that I used pleater hooks and hang my curtains on traverse rod.
The whole process is very easy; the only difficult part is the amount and weight of fabric involved. The decor fabric (green fabric) is larger in all direction than the lining fabric. The lining fabric is not folded at all, except for the hem. The hems of the green fabric and the lining fabric are separate. You can look at the instruction in detail.
I sewed the ready-made “pleater tape” (I have no idea what the proper name is) to the header.
Then the pleater hooks are inserted into the slots of the tape. In the process, the fabric is pleated.
Voila! Curtains are done!!
The total cost of the curtains:
Green silk fabric ($60) + blackout lining ($40) + pleater hooks ($14) + pleater tape ($10) = $124
I believe if I have them made, it would be hundreds of dollars. Great ROI!
Now back to sewing my clothes. Also, I am waiting for a shipment of fabric…can’t wait!